« Back to Home

Finding And Removing Roof Mold Growth

Posted on

One potential problem that homeowners face with their roof is mold growth. Since you do not inspect your roof that often, the growth can easily build up until it causes damage to your roof. Here are some signs that you have mold growing on your home's roof, and what you can do about it:

Mold Growth Signs

Finding mold is difficult to do from the ground, so a visual inspection is simply not good enough. Inspecting for mold requires getting up close with your shingles so that you can look closely for possible damage.

Pay close attention to debris, leaves, and pine needles that have formed piles on your roof. Underneath the piles can be an ideal environment for potential mold growth. Simply remove these piles to avoid the moisture buildup that occurs underneath them.

Loose shingles can also be a potential place for mold to grow as well. Once again, this is because moisture gets trapped underneath the loose shingle, and becomes a breeding ground for mold. Before you reattach any shingle that is loose, check underneath it for mold.

Mold Removal

If you do find mold on your roof, you will need to take the proper steps to get rid of it for good. Start by gathering the following tools and materials:

  • Roofing cement
  • Garden hose
  • Oxygenated cleaner
  • Liquid bleach
  • Water sprayer

Start by pouring a gallon of water inside the water sprayer. Then add 4 cups of bleach and 2 cups of the oxygenated cleaner. Use the sprayer to soak the spot on the roof that has mold, and let the cleaning solution set in for approximately 15 minutes. Then thoroughly rinse the roof off with your hose and let it dry.

You can then apply the roofing cement underneath the loose shingle on your roof to hold it in place. Press firmly on the shingle to secure it to your roof.

Power washing your roof is another option, but use caution when doing so. Always spray the stream of the power washer with the shingles on your roof, not against them. An upward stream of water from your power washer can cause the water to lift up the shingles on your roof. This will create the exact problem you are trying to avoid to prevent mold, and can make matters much worse.

If you do not feel comfortable going up on your roof for inspecting or fixing it, you can always call a professional roofer to do it for you. To learn more, contact a company like Valley Roofing with any questions you have.


Share